Tuesday 3 February 2009

The view up here is pretty 'new'

The school in New End, Hampstead is one of the delights of Hampstead village not least because of the range of noise the playground gives off during the day. The effect is stimulating and cheery...

These two pics - taken almost from above the school - from one of the neighbouring blocks - shows the size and the scale of the building and just how striking it was.

T.J. Bailey was a noted British architect who led the London School Board architects department in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Other schools he designed include:
Paxton Primary School, Woodland Road 1887
Durand Primary School, Kennington 1888
Rosendale Primary School, Rosendale Road 1890
Gipsy Hill Primary School, Gipsy Road 1896
Santley Primary and Secondary Schools, Santley Road 1898

This actual building was opened in 1906 and has been serving pupils brilliantly ever since.

Currently housing a Primary School and a Nursery it accommodates boys and girls from 3 to 11 years.

There's a piece by Marc Mullen from the Ham and High on the web that alludes to the pre-school history of the school foundation:
"The school was an interesting story before it even opened.The London Schools Board (LSB) took over three schools on private sites and immediately condemned them, leaving 640 children without a school.

In 1900 LSB's failed in its attempt to buy a site next to Burgh House, where housing block Well House now sits.But in 1903, with the help of the newly formed Hampstead Council, LSB used a compulsory purchase order to buy the land just off Streatley Place for the school.

Architect TJ Bailey, designer of more than 200 school buildings in the late 19th century, drew up the plans for the school, which opened in 1906."

The building is Grade II listed and the register reads as follows:
"Primary school. c1906. By TJ Bailey and the LCC Architect's Department, Schools Branch. Red brick; front of yellow brick with red brick pilasters and dressings. Gabled old tile roof with stone capped brick stacks. Edwardian Baroque style.

"EXTERIOR: 4 double height stories, 4-window range central block flanked by projecting wings of 8 stories and attics with 2-bay facades. 2 semicircular arched entries to centre, with triple keystones, divided by pilaster with scrolled pediment over stone plaque. Central block has brick pilasters with stone triglyph friezes from second floor level to segmental-arched stone frieze beneath moulded stone cornice; tall brick parapet. Red brick flat arches to transom and mullion windows with small panes.

"Projecting wings have square-headed doorways set in wide stone architraves with bracketed flat hoods. Red brick flat arches to paired 4-pane sashes set between brick pilasters with stone triglyph capitals carrying semicircular arches of Flemish gables with carved stone coping and carved stone oeil-de-boeuf windows.

"Red brick rear elevation with grouped windows having small panes to centre, the top floor with pediments. Projecting wings have brick pilasters with stone triglyph capitals at angles supporting ashlar piers with shaped cornices flanking large segmental-arched Ipswich windows with tall alternating red brick and stone voussoirs and carved Baroque-style keystones; hipped roofs with segmental dormers and tall finials. "

No comments: