Monday 4 February 2008

Memories from the Second World War

I carry my camera with me almost all the time now with hope of catching sight of just slightly unusual things: this is one of the better ones.

Just inside the main block of Hampstead School, Westbere Road, is this plaque rembering the second world war.

"THIS WING WAS DESTROYED
BY ENEMY ACTION
7TH OCTOBER 1940
REBUILT 1948"


It would seem that this part of London received pretty heavy bombing during the war - thought to be because of the high number of railway lines and junctions - and this plaque is one of the remnants of that history. I have passed this quite a few times (as a Governor at the School) but not paid too much attention to it really.

I think I'm right in saying that this was when the School was still occupied by Haberdasher Askes http://www.oldhabs.com/. I don't think they moved out until 1961.
Anyone out there have any memories of this night of bombing?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Possibly the quickest ever response to a blog post I have put up came with this link being emailed to me by a speedy reader:
http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/october7.html

Thanks

Anonymous said...

And the context just been emailed now:

10th of July 1940 : The Battle of Britain begins
7th of September 1940 : The Blitz begins
15th of September 1940 : Battle of Britain ends
31st of October 1940 : Official end of the Battle of Britain
29th of December 1940 : Worst night of The Blitz