Wednesday 19 March 2008

The before and after - so soon...

Well, this blog didn't set out to capture features that have become history in it's own lifetime but it has.

I have posted previously about how I liked the old posterboard on the corner of Kingsgate Place and Kilburn High Road and then just a couple of months later I walk past to see it being taken down. So here are the before and after shots...

http://474towin.blogspot.com/2008/01/things-you-see-and-take-for-granted.html

Does it matter? - well, on the face of it of course it doesn't - times change, life goes on, no-one was hurt or injured - but it seems to me that a small part of the shape of Kilburn, what we see around us is lost each time something like this fairly old posterboard is taken down.

I have suggested before that there should be a fairly comprehensive photographic audit for recording and capturing oldish features like this - otherwise at the whim of a worker, building owner or tenant another feature will be lost with no foresight or insight into their respective significance...

When I identified one of the old features and suggested capturing it and maybe even placing it in a musuem or other place I was chided on www.cityneighbours.com - I'm feeling less chided and a tad disappointed that we have a small loss, so soon in the life of this blog.

Ho hum...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ed, I feel exactly the same way about what others might call insignificant features of our history. Keep up the good work.
Just up the road from that billboard is a Chines fast noodle place. A depressing plastic dump of a place. It used to be one of the first Burton Tailors, I believe. Until the Chines took over, there was a marble marker stone commemorating the opening of the Burtons shop. It was just around the corner at the base of the building. It has disappeared!

Another detail that annoys me is the missing pub sign outside the Sir Colin Campbell. The present landlady took it down a few years ago. She should be commanded to put it back up!
Des.